I was doom scrolling throught FaceBook one night in the DIY Loudspeaker Project Pad group. Yes; i want to ditch Facebook for so many reasons. One day i will.
Anyway, i came accross a post by Paul Ellis in the group. He was showing his latest progress of making a 3D printed driver. I was intrugied to say the least and i just happened to order a Prusa Mini. At that time it was a 3 month wait to get it delivered. Then the COVID hit and delayed it more. All in all i believe i waited about 5 months for my mini. IT WAS WORTH IT! It is a tiny work horse! It took me a few weeks to get the hang of setting it up and understanding the different filament and their properties.
Once i got the hang of 3D printing I started downloading Paul public parts for the FD51 series. I was making some nice progress and decided to sign up for Paul’s Patreon Page. He had designs for the FD51-PE driver on the Patreon page and i started printing them. It was a learning curve for me. Printing in vase mode and getting things dialed in, but Paul was very generous with his time and helped me out.
I used Prusament PLA in my first designs for all of the chassis parts. PolyFlex™ TPU95 flexable filament for the spider and surround. Then 3DXTech CarbonX PETG for the cone material.
I was pretty impressed I MADE a working driver! Some magnets, enameled wire, and flexible filament makes for a working driver!
I learned the hard way that PLA is not the best filament for the magnet enclosure. I had two drivers playing music for about 2 hours while I was working on other things when i noticed small smoke plumes coming out from the cone. They melted and i have since switched to Prusament PTEG filament.
Once I got a taste of creating a driver I had to try Paul’s newer design the Tenacious 6. Here is a link to a page I am going to dedicate to my Tenacious 6 driver development.